- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbls. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk and cream, mixed
- 4 well-beaten egg yolks
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream.
- Cook covered *** over--not in--boiling water 8 minutes without stirring. Uncover and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Add egg yolks and butter
- Continue to cook and stir these ingredients 2 minutes longer.
- Cool, stirring occasionally to release steam, then add vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Chill the custard. It will have the consistency of a heavy whipped cream.
NotesThis is a great recipe from old edition of The Joy of Cooking. I can't find it in my newer edition but it's go great that I had to pass it on. I used it when making a trifle. It's a bit runny so it wouldn't hold up in a tart but it is just delicious in a trifle or over pound or angel food cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Sharing Christmas with Friends
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More