- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb lean lamb stew meat
- Flour seasoned with Salt, Pepper, & Cayenne
- 2 qt. beef stock
- A cup or two of Chianti
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 or 4 celery stalks, sliced (peeled)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Dried thyme
- Cayenne Pepper
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Sea Salt
- A few handfuls of cremini and shitakes, quartered
- 3 or 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- -Toss stew meat with seasoned flour.
- -Brown lamb in olive oil in 3 qt sauce pan.
- -Add onion, carrots, celery to pot (and a little more olive oil if needed.) Season with salt and pepper.
- -Add beef stock, wine, garlic, and spices. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- -Cover and cook for 1 hr, stirring occasionally.
- - Melt chocolate in microwave, and add to stew.
- -Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer for another 30 to 45 minutes when lamb is fork tender.
- -Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with egg noodles.
NotesUntil I moved to Santa Fe, my experience with lamb was limited. I saw it at Whole Foods in Austin all the time; I just didn't know what to do with it. But rack of lamb is unavoidable here. It's on every single fine dining menu I've read. I finally got the pleasure to try it at Coyote Cafe, served rare accompanied with escarole and lemon risotto. Delicious! Why had I not been experimenting with this other red meat? A cold, snowy day in January inspired this recipe. I go by taste when I cook, especially when I'm making a stew or soup, so please excuse my lack of measurements.
Originally posted on http://sweetsandeats.blogspot.com.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More