- Cooking Time: 60-70 minutes
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 quart low fat milk
- 3/4 cup short grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, plus 3 egg yolks
- 3 lbs. low fat ricotta
- Day before: Set ricotta to drain overnight (I line a mesh colander with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a large bowl in the fridge)
- Day of: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour an 8 inch spring form pan.
- Bring milk to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add salt and rice and reduce heat.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and milk is absorbed (about 30 minutes)
- Remove from heat, stir in cinnamon, zest, vanilla and 1 1/4 cup sugar, cover, and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir ricotta and eggs until smooth.
- Blend in remaining sugar and cooled rice mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until center is almost set and top is golden.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- For fruit topping, toss 1 c. sliced fresh berries or pineapple with 1/4 cup Grand Marnier and 2 tsp. sugar. Allow to sit for at least an hour.
NotesMy mother and I made this dessert for Easter this past weekend and it was amazing! It was inspired by a Martha recipe, but we lightened it up quite a bit! It is called Ricotta Cake on the site, but it really is not a cake at all. It is much more like an Italian cheese pie (or ricotta pie) crossed with rice pudding. Served with strawberries or pineapple in sweet liquor, it was the perfect Easter dessert.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More