- Cooking Time: 4-6
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
BackstoryWhether you're growing zucchini in your own garden or buying them at markets, you've no doubt come across the beautiful big yellow blooms of a zucchini plant. They may not be fragrant but they sure do taste good
- vegetable oil
- 6 zucchini blossoms
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 garlic clove, mince
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- good pinch of salt, plus more before serving
- 12 oz beer
- Heat a large saucepan or pot with 2" of vegetable oil over medium - high heat.
- Combine the cheese, garlic, green onion and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Carefully open the pedals of the flower and work about 1-2 TB of the cheese mixture into each blossom.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pinch of salt and beer. Whisk until almost smooth. The batter should be like pancake batter, with a few lumps. Don't over mix...you'll lose the body that the beer provides. Feel free to add more flour or beer if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Working in batches, carefully dip and roll the stuffed blossoms in the batter. allowing excess to drip off before placing into the hot oil. ***BE very careful as the oil will spit and splatter due to the wetness from the ricotta cheese.
- Fry for 2 - 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Remove from oil and let drain on rack. Sprinkle with salt.