- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 min
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 2 zucchini
- 250 g ricotta
- 50 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- marjoram and basil leaves
- salt, pepper
- Extravirgin olive oil
- (for home made Béchamel sauce)
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml low fat milk
- 30 g butter
- 20 g grated Parmigiano
- Here's the recipe for Béchamel, although I used store bought one.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour and toast it for 2 minutes. Pour in cold milk whisking. Cook for 7-8 minutes stirring continuously. In the end add grated Parmigiano, salt and pepper.
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Cut them into thin slices lengthwise (you can use your mandoline), and then into matchsticks.
- Warm 1 tblspoon of Extravirgin olive oil in a skillet with garlic, add zucchini and stirfry for a minute of two. Throw the garlic away.
- Mix ricotta with grated Parmigiano, add zucchini and minced marjoram leaves. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Wash and patdry the flowers (remove the pistils, they are bitter)and fill them with the ricotta mixture. Close the flowers making them stick to the filling.
- Put some Béchamel sauce on the bottom of a baking dish and place the flowers on one end. I also turned them a couple of times so they would get coated in sauce.
- Wash and dice the tomatoes, remove seeds and let them drain a bit. Place the diced tomatoes on the opposite side of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle some Parmigiano on top and bake in an oven preheated to 200°C for 15 minutes. Add basil leaves to the tomatoes before serving
NotesZucchini flowers are rich in Vitamin A, and have diuretic and refreshing properties.
100 g of zucchini flowers have only 12 calories, of course, if cooked without adding fats, steamed, or added to salads and pasta dishes.
This preparation: 180 calories per serving
Food Travels Through Italy
Fun appetizers and snacks
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More