- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Using the "barbeque" (stove-top) cooking method imparts a slightly charred, smoky flavor to the eggplant.
Keeps in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- Whole eggplants
- 2 T olive oil
- Optional Ingredients:
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground pepper
- Finely chopped onions
- Cook washed, whole eggplant using either the (1) barbeque or (2) oven method:
- (1) "Barbecue" on gas stove by placing eggplant on burner over flame. It will char on outside and be soft inside in about 5 minutes per side (consider an eggplant as having 2 sides).
- (2) In oven: put whole eggplant on ungreased metal pie pan. Cook 10-20 minutes until soft.
- Put eggplant in shallow bowl to cool.
- Peel eggplant. A few small pieces of charred skin left on the eggplant won't hurt the taste.
- Make transverse cuts about 1/2" apart, then mash eggplant with a fork to fluffy consistency.
- Add olive oil and any of the optional ingredients.
- Eat cold.