- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 T olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 chicken, under 3 lb., butterflied
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 medium red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 new potatoes, cut in half
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Film a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with 1 T olive oil.
- If you haven't bought a butterflied chicken: split chicken along the edge of its backbone with poultry shears. Then cut along other side of backbone and remove it. Remove fat pads from around breast and cavity.
- Salt and pepper onions and potatoes.
- Place potatoes in middle of baking dish.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and garlic.
- Flatten chicken out over potatoes.
- Surround with onions.
- Drizzle remaining 2 T olive oil over chicken and salt and pepper generously.
- Roast for 45 - 50 min. or until chicken skin is nicely browned.
- Pour off all liquid.
- Serve hot or cold.
NotesThe potatoes are called smothered because they are roasted under the flattened chicken, where they absorb all its juices. Major yum.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Jean’s Recipe File
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More