- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryThe potatoes are called smothered because they are roasted under the flattened chicken, where they absorb all its juices. Major yum.
- 3 T olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 chicken, under 3 lb., butterflied
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 medium red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 new potatoes, cut in half
- 1 T chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Film a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with 1 T olive oil.
- If you haven't bought a butterflied chicken: split chicken along the edge of its backbone with poultry shears. Then cut along other side of backbone and remove it. Remove fat pads from around breast and cavity.
- Salt and pepper onions and potatoes.
- Place potatoes in middle of baking dish.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and garlic.
- Flatten chicken out over potatoes.
- Surround with onions.
- Drizzle remaining 2 T olive oil over chicken and salt and pepper generously.
- Roast for 45 - 50 min. or until chicken skin is nicely browned.
- Pour off all liquid.
- Serve hot or cold.