- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 2+
- Preparation Time: 5
- Potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards)
- Vegetable Oil
- Heat your oven to its highest setting and put in a good heavy baking tray.
- Peel your potatoes and cut them to the desired shape and size. It is always a good idea to make sure they are the same size so they all cook evenly, about golf ball size is ideal. Put them in a pan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to the boil and simmer until they are just soft. A good test for this is stick a knife in and lift it up. If it falls away slowly it is cooked correctly. If it hangs on it is under cooked and if if falls before you can pick it up or breaks up it is over cooked.
- Drain them and allow them to air dry until there is no more steam coming off of them and are completely dry, this ensures they get nice an crisp rather than boiling in the excess moisture in the oven. Then you should give them a good shake up in the colander to make the edges really rough. This increases the surface area of the potato and it is this that will make them really crispy.
- Take the preheated tray and add whatever fat you want to use, enough to cover the bottom of the pan and to coat the potatoes when they're added. Sunflower Oil or Duck/Goose Fats are the best. Avoid using Butter or Olive Oil as they burn easily. Put it back into the oven to heat the fat.
- When ready to cook the potatoes take the tray and put it on the hob to keep hot. Carefully pour in the potatoes and season. At this point I usually add a couple of whole cloves of garlic and some sprigs of rosemary. Give them a good stir to coat in the fat and put in the oven. Reduce the heat to 200c and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Discard the Garlic and Rosemary If they are a bit greasy then put them on some kitchen towel or a clean j-cloth to take the fat off.
- If you want it to be more healthy then use a low calorie cooking spray.
NotesEveryone loves Roast Potatoes! Here's how to get them really fluffy in the middle and crisp on the outside.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More