- Cooking Time: 25 min
- Servings: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 60 min
- 2 heads of garlic (rubbed with olive oil and wrap in foil, roasted at 350ºF until soft, about 40 minutes)
- 1 Cup chopped carrot (about 2 med. carrots)
- 6 Cups chopped potatoes (about 2-3 pounds)
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk,room temp.
- 1/2 stick of butter,room temp.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Tons of salt and pepper (to taste)
- Take the roasted garlic cloves out of their garlic paper and mash them altogether in a bowl, with a fork. Steam the carrot and potato together, about 15-25 minutes depending on how small you cut them (I like to keep the skin on the potatoes). Mash the buttermilk, butter, dill, mashed roasted garlic, salt and pepper into the potatoes and carrots. Taste for seasoning, adjust if you need to and serve.
NotesRoasted garlic smells fabulous while it's roasting, brings more creaminess to the dish. Just be sure to brush the garlic head with olive oil & wrap in foil, otherwise the papery garlic skin can burn in the oven.
Photos; top left: mashed potatoes and carrots, top right: with dairy and dill, bottom left: whole roasted garlic cloves, bottom right: two heads worth of mashed roasted garlic cloves before they go into the mashed potatoes.