ROASTED BANANA CUPCAKES WITH CINNAMON-HONEY FROSTING
- Cooking Time: 20
- Preparation Time: 25
- 3 ripe bananas, plus 1-2 more for garnish
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For Frosting:
- 2/12 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Place 3 whole unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and roast 15 minutes (the peels will darken). Meanwhile, sift together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Remove bananas from oven and let cool before peeling. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
2. With a mixer on med-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add roasted bananas, and beat to combine. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of sour cream, and beating until just combined after each. Beat in vanilla.
3. In another mixing bowl, with mixer on medium speed, whisk egg shites to soft peaks; fold one-third whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining whites in two batches.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a tester in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting, thinly slice remaining bananas and place atop cupcakes just before serving, if desired. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to 5 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat until smooth.
Website Credit: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/desserts_E0308WELD_T