- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 Tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 Tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 Tsp black pepper
- 3 cups (1 inch)peeled cubed butternut squash
- cooking spray
- 6 sweet hickory-smoked bacon slices (raw)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 oz. uncooked mini penne pasta
- 1/4 all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz.) grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, pepper. Place squash on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt mixture. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes or until lightly browned remove and increase oven temp to 450 degrees farenheit.
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium until crisp. Remove from pan, reserving 1 1/2 tsp of fat in pan. Crumble bacon. Increase heat to medium high. Add shallots to pan; saute 8 minutes or until tender. Combine squash mixture bacon and shallots, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt, drain.
- Combine flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Gradually add milk stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.Remove from heat. Add provolone, stirring until cheese melts. Add pasta to cheese mixture, toss well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 11x7 inch-baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray, top with squash mixture. Sprinkle parmesan over top. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
NotesFrom an issue of Cooking Light from God knows when. Altered to not be "light"which means I used whole milk and whole milk cheese because reduced fat is really boring.