- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 0.9 kg -1.13 kg (2-2.5 pound) butternut squash
- 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale
- Almond Pecan Parmesan “cheese”:
- 1/4 cup almonds*
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/#ixzz2egZPj8SA
- 1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a casserole dish with oil.
- 2. Peel the squash. Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a grapefruit spoon or ice cream scoop. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.
- 3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.
- 4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, process the parmesan ingredients together until chunky (or just chop by hand and mix in a bowl). Make sure to leave lots of nut pieces for texture. I used a mini processor and it worked great with minimal clean up.
- 6. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Stir in the chopped kale and sprinkle the parmesan all over the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!
- Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/#ixzz2egZViyyt
NotesThis six-ingredient side dish keeps the winter chills away without all the rib-sticking cheese and butter. The "parmesan" crumbles on top are actually chopped up nuts mixed with olive oil!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Decadent Desserts Made FromSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More