ROASTED CHICKEN WITH GRAVY: IT'S COMPLICATED
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 min Chicken - 15 min
- one 6-pound roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 white onion
- 3 white potatoes
- 5 carrots
- one 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 4 cups chicken broth from roasted chicken
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place chicken in roasting pan and sprinkle with seasoned salt. (Wash hands.)
Wash and peel all vegetables.
Cut onion, potatoes and carrots into 1-inch cubes.
Add all vegetables to chicken in pan. Pour broth over all ingredients, cover and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Preheat saucepan on high for 1-2 minutes.
Place chicken and vegetables on serving platter and cover. Pour drippings from roasted chicken (up to 4 cups) into saucepan. If necessary, add water to drippings to make 4 cups of liquid.
Add chicken bouillon and whisk well.
In small mixing bowl, whisk half and half and cornstarch until smooth.
When broth begins to boil, add half and half mixture; whisk to blend. Turn heat to medium low and simmer 3-4 minutes or until gravy thickens.
Add salt and pepper to taste. (Makes 10 servings.)