- Cooking Time: 30 min.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- 3 or 4 small or 1 or 2 large eggplant, trimmed and cut into slices lengthwise
- 3 red or yellow bell peppers, sliced into strips (I left these out this time!)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into slices lengthwise
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 2 cups yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- If grilling, brush all veggies with olive oil. If broiling, pour 1/4 cup olive oil into a roasting pan and turn eggplant, peppers, and squashes in it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tender, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the veggies to a bowl and put onion, avocado and tomato in the pan or on grill, cut sides down. Cook until just blackened (the avocado will take only a minute or two, but the onion needs more time).
- Allow these veggies to cool enough to handle, then scoop out the avocado and slice into chunks.
- Separate onion into slices and chop tomato.
- Add to the bowl of veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chickpeas, yogurt, and lemon juice and toss to coat.
- *Optional step! Return to roasting pan. Broil about 5 minutes or until bubbly and lightly charred on top.
- Serve over brown rice and top with thyme and red pepper flakes.
NotesAdapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food", page 298
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More