- Cooking Time: 30 min.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- 3 or 4 small or 1 or 2 large eggplant, trimmed and cut into slices lengthwise
- 3 red or yellow bell peppers, sliced into strips (I left these out this time!)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into slices lengthwise
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 2 cups yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- If grilling, brush all veggies with olive oil. If broiling, pour 1/4 cup olive oil into a roasting pan and turn eggplant, peppers, and squashes in it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tender, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the veggies to a bowl and put onion, avocado and tomato in the pan or on grill, cut sides down. Cook until just blackened (the avocado will take only a minute or two, but the onion needs more time).
- Allow these veggies to cool enough to handle, then scoop out the avocado and slice into chunks.
- Separate onion into slices and chop tomato.
- Add to the bowl of veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chickpeas, yogurt, and lemon juice and toss to coat.
- *Optional step! Return to roasting pan. Broil about 5 minutes or until bubbly and lightly charred on top.
- Serve over brown rice and top with thyme and red pepper flakes.
NotesAdapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food", page 298
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Italy or Bust
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More