- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (3-4 pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1 Prepare the brine by combining garlic, water, salt, pepper and olive oil in a blender.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon wedges into the brine, blend.
- Stir in the bay leaves.
- 2 Place chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag, or in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Pour the brine all over the chicken in the bag, or in the bowl.
- Add the (already squeezed) lemon wedges. Squeeze out all the air from the bag and seal, or place plastic wrap over the chicken in the bowl. Refrigerate overnight - 12 to 24 hours.
- 3 Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken from the brine.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken. Place the chicken on a rack, in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Roast for about an hour, until the juices run clear from the thigh when pierced with a fork. (Breast meat should have an internal temperature of 165°F, thigh meat should have an internal temperature of 175°F.)
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking for a CureSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More