- Cooking Time: 5
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 large fresh jalapeños
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp Tahini
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon course salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- dash of cayenne
- Sliced fresh jalapeños, for garnish (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Place top oven rack 4 inches from the broiler and turn on the broiler. Remove the stems from the peppers and slice horizontally into quarters. Do not remove pith or seeds. Toss the pepper with 2 Tbsp olive oil and place into a small oven-safe dish. Broil until blistered and softened. Remove from oven and allow oil and peppers to cool completely. Reserve the oil - you’ll drizzle it over the hummus before eating.
- Combine the lemon juice and water in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the Tahini and olive oil together until smooth.
- Process the chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in a food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the bowl. With the food processor running, stream in the lemon and water and process for one minute. Scrape down the bowl again. Turn the food processor on and stream in the Tahini and oil mixture and process until smooth, about another minute. Add the jalapeños (reserve the oil) and process another minute.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour to let flavors blend. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and drizzle with the reserved oil. Top with jalapeño slices and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
NotesWe tend to live by the mantra that if it doesn’t make your nose run, then it’s simply *not* hot enough. Jalapeños that were destined to be thrown out as 'weekend wilty produce' were repurposed for a super spicy snack.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More