- Cooking Time: 40 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1. Place onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; toss to coat. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with remaining oil. Wrap foil around garlic; place on baking pan with onions.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until onions are lightly browned and garlic is tender, turning onions occasionally. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, cheese and walnuts; top with onions.
- 4. For dressing, place vinegar and shallots in a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and pulse until blended. Add parsley and pepper flakes. Cover and process, gradually adding oil in a steady stream. Serve with salad.
NotesTry this impressive salad at your next dinner party or during the holidays. Roasting the onions and garlic creates a depth of flavor you just can't get with any other cooking method!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce