- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, undrained, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in the roasted peppers, chilies, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice. Cool slightly. In a blender, process the cream cheese and half of the soup until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 1,154 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
NotesThis is one of the best potato soup recipes I have ever tried. I made it even better by roasting some fresh Hatch Chilies to replace the canned chilies. I pureed most of the soup in the pot using an immersion blender (a must have for anyone who loves potato soup like I do).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More