- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (7-1/4 ounces) roasted red peppers, undrained, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in the roasted peppers, chilies, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice. Cool slightly. In a blender, process the cream cheese and half of the soup until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 204 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 1,154 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
NotesThis is one of the best potato soup recipes I have ever tried. I made it even better by roasting some fresh Hatch Chilies to replace the canned chilies. I pureed most of the soup in the pot using an immersion blender (a must have for anyone who loves potato soup like I do).
The Social Cookbook
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More