- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- 12 tablespoons (1-1/2 cups) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into small cubes
- a bowl of ice water
- Combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, salt and rosemary) in a large bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Add the butter and vegetable shortening and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or your fingertips. You want the mixture to resemble coarse oatmeal.
- Add 4 tablespoons of ice water and begin gathering the dough together into a bowl. If the dough does not come together, add more ice water one tablespoon at a time.
- As soon as the dough comes together into a ball, knead it a few times on a floured work surface.
- Cut the dough in half and flatten each half into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When your ready to make your tart shell, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out one of the discs into an 11-inch circle and gently fit the dough into a 9-inch pan. Press the dough firmly into the pan and remove any excess dough.
- With a fork, prick the base of the dough.
- Line the tart with aluminum foil and place either pie weights or dried beans on the aluminum foil. This is called blind baking the tart. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the foil and pie weights/dried beans. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the tart and let cool while you prepare the filling.
- Note: This pastry recipe will yield two 9-inch tarts. You will need a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The One Dollar Cookbook
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More