ROASTED SALMON WITH GREEN SAUCE
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 ounces watercress leaves, plus 2 bunches for serving
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 five-ounce salmon fillets, skins removed, about 1 1/2 by 4 inches
Place onion, garlic, parsley, watercress, spinach, buttermilk, sour cream, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 300°. Rub the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Set salmon fillets in the dish, and rub tops with remaining teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour 1/4 cup water in dish (to cover bottom in a thin layer). Cook fish until just cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately over bed of watercress drizzled with cold herb sauce. Extra sauce can be refrigerated up to 4 days.