- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 butternut squash
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper (2ml)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (250ml)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese(250ml)
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh basil or sage (25ml)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (50ml)
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion (250ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (50ml)
- 1, ½ milk (375ml)
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 1.Peel squash; halve lengthwise then crosswise. Remove seeds. Cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick wedges. Place in 2.5L (10-cup) greased oval baking dish; sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Roast in 450F (230C) oven until tender and browned on edges – about 25minutes.
- 2.In small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil and 1tbsp (15ml) of the butter; set aside.
- 3.In small saucepan, heat remaining better over medium heat; fry onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- 4.Sprinkle with flour; cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until thick enough to coat back of spoon – about 5 minutes.
- 5.Pour over squash; sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake in 350F (180C) oven until bubbly and crumbs are golden – about 25 minutes.
NotesThis can be made as a large casserole or divided into individual gratin dishes before baking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
The One Dollar CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More