- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 butternut squash
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper (2ml)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (250ml)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese(250ml)
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh basil or sage (25ml)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (50ml)
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion (250ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (50ml)
- 1, ½ milk (375ml)
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 1.Peel squash; halve lengthwise then crosswise. Remove seeds. Cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick wedges. Place in 2.5L (10-cup) greased oval baking dish; sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Roast in 450F (230C) oven until tender and browned on edges – about 25minutes.
- 2.In small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil and 1tbsp (15ml) of the butter; set aside.
- 3.In small saucepan, heat remaining better over medium heat; fry onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened – about 5 minutes.
- 4.Sprinkle with flour; cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until thick enough to coat back of spoon – about 5 minutes.
- 5.Pour over squash; sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake in 350F (180C) oven until bubbly and crumbs are golden – about 25 minutes.
NotesThis can be made as a large casserole or divided into individual gratin dishes before baking.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Righteous Indignation Raspberry-Nut Bars
Michigan Berry Pie
Warm Lentil & Pasta SoupSee More