ROASTED STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup fresh ripe strawberries
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp high quality aged balsamic vinegar (the kind you can eat with a spoon!)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 Tbs of sour cream
- 1lb+ powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300F
2. Hull and slice strawberries in half.
Toss to coat with brown sugar and spread strawberries on a baking sheet (preferably on non-stick, or silpat).
3. Bake for 45min - 1hr until strawberries are darker in color and shriveled.
4. Allow to cool and puree (if you plan on using piping this frosting you may want to go the extra step and strain this mixture to remove seeds).
5. Add balsamic vinegar and set aside.
If you can't find the syrupy sweet aged balsamic this recipe calls for (it can be tricky to find and a bit pricey - it's really a topping or dressing vinegar rather than a cooking vinegar) you can substitute 1/2 tsp regular balsamic, less if your balsamic seems super tart. Addendum - The VSOP Balsamic by Olivier is one of the more reasonable domestic aged balsamics I'd recommend.
6. Blend cream cheese, butter, sour cream and strawberry puree in mixer.
Add powdered sugar by the cup until desired consistency is achieved.