- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup fresh ripe strawberries
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp high quality aged balsamic vinegar (the kind you can eat with a spoon!)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 Tbs of sour cream
- 1lb+ powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 300F
- 2. Hull and slice strawberries in half.
- Toss to coat with brown sugar and spread strawberries on a baking sheet (preferably on non-stick, or silpat).
- 3. Bake for 45min - 1hr until strawberries are darker in color and shriveled.
- 4. Allow to cool and puree (if you plan on using piping this frosting you may want to go the extra step and strain this mixture to remove seeds).
- 5. Add balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- If you can't find the syrupy sweet aged balsamic this recipe calls for (it can be tricky to find and a bit pricey - it's really a topping or dressing vinegar rather than a cooking vinegar) you can substitute 1/2 tsp regular balsamic, less if your balsamic seems super tart. Addendum - The VSOP Balsamic by Olivier is one of the more reasonable domestic aged balsamics I'd recommend.
- 6. Blend cream cheese, butter, sour cream and strawberry puree in mixer.
- Add powdered sugar by the cup until desired consistency is achieved.
NotesI stumbled upon this combo while on a quest for a grownup strawberry frosting. Like most frosting recipes you'll want to add ingredients slowly and to your taste to get just the right consistency and flavor.
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
CustomFit Clean & TastySee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More