- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup fresh ripe strawberries
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp high quality aged balsamic vinegar (the kind you can eat with a spoon!)
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 Tbs of sour cream
- 1lb+ powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 300F
- 2. Hull and slice strawberries in half.
- Toss to coat with brown sugar and spread strawberries on a baking sheet (preferably on non-stick, or silpat).
- 3. Bake for 45min - 1hr until strawberries are darker in color and shriveled.
- 4. Allow to cool and puree (if you plan on using piping this frosting you may want to go the extra step and strain this mixture to remove seeds).
- 5. Add balsamic vinegar and set aside.
- If you can't find the syrupy sweet aged balsamic this recipe calls for (it can be tricky to find and a bit pricey - it's really a topping or dressing vinegar rather than a cooking vinegar) you can substitute 1/2 tsp regular balsamic, less if your balsamic seems super tart. Addendum - The VSOP Balsamic by Olivier is one of the more reasonable domestic aged balsamics I'd recommend.
- 6. Blend cream cheese, butter, sour cream and strawberry puree in mixer.
- Add powdered sugar by the cup until desired consistency is achieved.
NotesI stumbled upon this combo while on a quest for a grownup strawberry frosting. Like most frosting recipes you'll want to add ingredients slowly and to your taste to get just the right consistency and flavor.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Camp Nubar Baking Class
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More