- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 Cups Roasted Vegetable Stock, Heated (Recipe Below)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Melt butter in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring, until pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock in a stream, whisking constantly to prevent lumps, and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Roasted Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 Lb Mushrooms, Halved (There Is More Flavor From Meatier Type Mushrooms)
- 1/2 Lb Onions (6 Small Or 4 Medium), Left Unpeeled,Then Quartered
- 1/2 Lb Carrots (3 Medium), Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Coarsely Chopped
- 4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs (including long stems)
- 3 Fresh Thyme Sprigs (Or 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 California Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Cup Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Quart Water
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss together mushrooms, shallots, carrots, bell pepper, garlic, parsley and thyme sprigs, and oil in a flameproof roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables with a slotted spoon to a 4-quart saucepan. Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners, then add wine and deglaze pan by boiling over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to saucepan and add bay leaf, tomatoes, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Pour stock through a large fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More