- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 Cups Roasted Vegetable Stock, Heated (Recipe Below)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Melt butter in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring, until pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock in a stream, whisking constantly to prevent lumps, and bring to a boil, whisking. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Roasted Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 Lb Mushrooms, Halved (There Is More Flavor From Meatier Type Mushrooms)
- 1/2 Lb Onions (6 Small Or 4 Medium), Left Unpeeled,Then Quartered
- 1/2 Lb Carrots (3 Medium), Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Coarsely Chopped
- 4 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs (including long stems)
- 3 Fresh Thyme Sprigs (Or 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 California Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Cup Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Quart Water
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss together mushrooms, shallots, carrots, bell pepper, garlic, parsley and thyme sprigs, and oil in a flameproof roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables with a slotted spoon to a 4-quart saucepan. Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners, then add wine and deglaze pan by boiling over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to saucepan and add bay leaf, tomatoes, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Pour stock through a large fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids.
- Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce