- Cooking Time: About 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 carrots (about 1 lb.), sliced crosswise
- 6 celery stalks, sliced crosswise
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1.5 cups walnut halves
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise
- 3 T honey
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (12 oz.) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 T fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Seasoning mix:
- 3 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cayenne chili powder
- 2 T turmeric
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T cumin seeds
- 1 T coriander
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- Chicken marinade:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T honey
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Combine all seasonings in a small bowl. Place chicken pieces in a sturdy zip lock bag with 1-2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and the remaining marinade ingredients. Toss to coat and refrigerate at least 3 hours (up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Put onions, carrots, celery, and walnuts in roasting pan. Add remaining seasoning mix, ginger, garlic, olive oil, and honey. Stir to coat all vegetables. Place in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until carrots and celery are beginning to get tender. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, and 3/4 cup of cilantro. Cook for an additional ten minutes, or until sauce reduces and begins to thicken. Place marinated chicken on top of vegetables and sauce, adding any remaining marinade. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until chicken begins to look cooked and juices run clear when poked. Scatter zucchini around the chicken pieces, add lemon juice, sprinkle with remaining cilantro, and cover with foil. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve over couscous.
NotesI'm going through a roasting pan phase. All I want is for my chicken and veggies to be cooked together in one big pan. This recipe incorporates my favorite parts of several recipes for Moroccan chicken and adapts them for the roasting pan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The NourishFull Kitchen
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More