- Cooking Time: 35 to 40
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces Scharffen Berger 70% bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scant cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 to 1 cup walnut halves or pieces
- Adjust a rack 1/3 up from bottom of the oven and preheat to 325 F.
- Butter or line with parchment paper an 8-inch square cake pan and set aside.
- Heat the chocolate and butter in the top of a 2 1/2 to 3-quart double boiler or water bath. Stir occasionally until melted.
- If necessary, whisk to smooth.
- Remove from heat, stir in the salt, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition until incorporated.
- Add the flour and stir briskly for about a minute until the mixture is smooth and shiny and comes away from the side of the pot.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Turn the mixture into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted gently into the center comes out moist, but free of batter.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
NotesSo far these are my very favorite brownies (subject to change) I believe it is the excellent Schaffen Berger chocolate that makes them outstanding.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More