- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1/2 pound ground or finely diced salt pork
- 1 pound onions
- 1 gallon clam juice
- 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 1/2 quarts chopped quahogs (large clams)
- water as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pilot or Saltine crackers, crumbled
- In a large dutch oven, heat the salt pork until the fat melts.
- Add the onions. Cook ocher gentle heat until very soft.
- Add the clam juice, potatoes, seasonings, tomato puree and a little water. Simmer until the potatoes are soft, then add the quahogs.
- Heat and taste for seasoning. Add water if needed. It is best to use old, not new, potatoes, because they thicken the chowder with their starch.
- Crush some pilot crackers and stir them into the chowder to thicken it further, near the end of the cooking.
- This recipe makes about 20 8oz servings.
NotesModified from the recipe used by the Old Rocky Point Amusement Park!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More