- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1/2 pound ground or finely diced salt pork
- 1 pound onions
- 1 gallon clam juice
- 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 1/2 quarts chopped quahogs (large clams)
- water as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pilot or Saltine crackers, crumbled
- In a large dutch oven, heat the salt pork until the fat melts.
- Add the onions. Cook ocher gentle heat until very soft.
- Add the clam juice, potatoes, seasonings, tomato puree and a little water. Simmer until the potatoes are soft, then add the quahogs.
- Heat and taste for seasoning. Add water if needed. It is best to use old, not new, potatoes, because they thicken the chowder with their starch.
- Crush some pilot crackers and stir them into the chowder to thicken it further, near the end of the cooking.
- This recipe makes about 20 8oz servings.
NotesModified from the recipe used by the Old Rocky Point Amusement Park!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More