- Cooking Time: 10
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup H2O
- 2 tbsp butter
- a half capful (about 1/4 tsp?) of white vinegar
- flavorings/ colors of your choice (vanilla is straight vanilla extract (about 1-2 tbsp), strawberry was a few drops of red food coloring (2-3) and strawberry extract (again, 1-2 tbsp depending on how strong you want. mine came out pretty mild), chocolate I'd assume would be around 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder and increase the water to 1/2 cup
- I got a half skeet pan (with sides) and sprayed it down with nonstick spray (or butter will work) If you have a silpat, even better. I put this on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup, butter vinegar and water to a boil on medium high heat. Put a good candy thermometer in the middle of the syrup and closely watch until it hits just below the firm ball stage (around 245-250F) Don't stir during this. As soon as it gets there, remove it from the heat, remove the thermometer and stir in flavorings/colorings. As soon as its quickly mixed pour this all on your sheet pan.
- Leave it set for 10 minutes or until you can take a knife or fingers and fold a corner towards the center. Feel it to get a good feel if its cool enough for you to not scald your hands! When it is, it should pull fairly easily out the pan and, with lightly greased hands, begin pulling. Pull until it just starts to get ribbony and pale. A good indicator its ready is after you've pulled till you feel like your arms will fall off, pull 5-10 minutes more. Take scissors and quickly snip the lump into a few pieces, roll each rope out to good roman candy thickness and cut with scissors to about foot long pieces. Wrap in wax paper.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More