- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 5
- Lemon Saffron Risotto
- 1 ¼ cup Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 5 ½ cups chicken stock
- 15 saffron threads (or a pinch) steeped in ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (2 medium lemons)
- 2 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Romano cheese
- 3 slices of prosciutto – cooked until crisp in microwave for garnish
- Boil water and add to saffron threads to steep.
- Heat all of the stock in a large saucepan.
- You will be adding warm stock to the rice in small increments.
- Place 3 slices of prosciutto on a microwave safe dish and cook until crisp. Place on paper towel to cool, and then break into pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add 1 cup of onion and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and rice stirring until coated, cook for 4 minutes.
- Increase heat under rice/onion mixture and add in wine.
- When the mixture bubbles, reduce heat to medium, simmer until wine is absorbed. Keep the rice at a hot temperature as you continue to add warm stock 2 ladles at a time, stirring until liquid is all absorbed before each new addition of stock. Pour in the saffron infused water, the lemon juice, lemon zest with the final amount of stock and stir until absorbed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the cheeses. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sprinkles of Parmesan and crispy prosciutto.
NotesWhen visiting Rome with my husband and mother we came across a wonderful restaurant and ordered this dish. My mom had never had risotto before and she feel in love with this dish. We had to eat there three times before she had had enough. Every time when I make this dish it brings back the wonderful memories of that trip with my mom. She had never been out of the state of Texas when we took her to Italy. She's 82 years old.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
The One Dollar CookbookSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More