- Cooking Time: 210–240
- Servings: 25–30 (6–8)
- Preparation Time: 60 (not inc basting)
- 24 oz (½ cup) Barq's root beer
- 4½ tsp (1 tsp) Tabasco® style steak sauce
- 6 (1½ cloves) cloves
- 1 stick (1 dash) cinnamon
- 1 (1 pinch of crushed) bay leaf
- ½ peel of orange (dash of orange extract)
- Juice from orange (5 tsp orange juice)
- ½ peel of lemon (dash of lemon extract)
- 12 lbs (2½–3½ lbs) smoked ham
- ¾ cup (3 tbsp) dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp (1 dash) dry mustard
- ½ cup (2 tbsp) water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan for the glaze.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the pan contents and discard the solids.
- Reduce the liquid to about ½ cup.
- Refrigerate if doing this in advance.
- (For doing this in the home version, mix the 7 ingredients in a mini-blender and uses it as the glaze.)
- Place the ham on a rack in a disposable aluminum pan.
- Cut shallow gashes in a crisscross pattern across the top half of the ham.
- Spoon just enough of the glaze over the ham to completely cover the surface.
- Combine the brown sugar and mustard together and pat it all over the ham.
- Pour ½ cup of water into the pan.
- (2 tbsp for the home version.)
- Bake the ham, spooning some of the glaze over it every 15 minutes until the glaze is used up.
- Try to get some glaze on all parts of the ham.
- Continue baking for a total of 3½–4 hours or until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 160° F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
NotesThis recipe yields a "cooking for crowds" 25–30 servings. In order to yield a more "family "cooking" friendly 6–8 servings, use the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More