- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup poblano chile, seeded, diced
- 1 cup anaheim chili, seeded, diced
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 12 oz beer (1 bottle lager)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbs dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 15 oz black beans, drained, rinsed (1 can)
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, halved
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- PEPPER JACK BISCUITS
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup scallion, sliced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 2. Sauté bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
- 3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 4. Sauté onion, bell peppers, chiles and garlic in bacon drippings until
- beginning to brown, 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 5. Cut flank steak into thirds and sear until browned, about 5 minutes per
- 6. Stir in beer, such as lager, broth, and seasonings; bring to a boil,
- reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered 45 minutes.
- 7. Remove steak from pan, shred with 2 forks, and set aside.
- 8. Whisk masa into broth, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken slightly, 10
- 9. Stir in reserved beef, vegetables, & bacon with remaining ingredients.
- 10. Divide filling among six 2-cup ovenproof dishes or ramekins, transfer
- dishes to prepared baking sheet and top with biscuit topping.
- 11. PEPPER JACK BISCUITS:.
- 12. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 13. Whisk flour, masa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a
- bowl until combined.
- 14. Cut in butter until pea-sized using a pastry blender(or two knives),
- then stir in cheese and scallions.
- 15. Blend milk and sour cream in a small;; bowl, then stir into flour
- mixture just until combined.
- 16. Top each pot pie with 3 golf ball-sized scoops of biscuit topping.
- 17. Bake until biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center
- comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- 18. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to set up.
- Note: I used canned Romas and just squeezed them in my hand and chopped them. I also didn't save any bacon grease to saute veggies. I used some olive oil. I also used 2 pounds of flank steak. I browned the steak in a little oil in the bottom of my pressure cooker. I added the beer and the seasonings and cooked at high pressure with natural release for 15 min. I proceeded from there. I cut out 30 min.
NotesI was looking for a Cuban recipe to make for company and came across this. My recipe is an adaptation. I serve it with Cilantro Lime Slaw.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The One Dollar CookbookSee More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More