- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup poblano chile, seeded, diced
- 1 cup anaheim chili, seeded, diced
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 12 oz beer (1 bottle lager)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbs dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 15 oz black beans, drained, rinsed (1 can)
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, halved
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- PEPPER JACK BISCUITS
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup scallion, sliced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 2. Sauté bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
- 3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 4. Sauté onion, bell peppers, chiles and garlic in bacon drippings until
- beginning to brown, 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 5. Cut flank steak into thirds and sear until browned, about 5 minutes per
- 6. Stir in beer, such as lager, broth, and seasonings; bring to a boil,
- reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered 45 minutes.
- 7. Remove steak from pan, shred with 2 forks, and set aside.
- 8. Whisk masa into broth, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken slightly, 10
- 9. Stir in reserved beef, vegetables, & bacon with remaining ingredients.
- 10. Divide filling among six 2-cup ovenproof dishes or ramekins, transfer
- dishes to prepared baking sheet and top with biscuit topping.
- 11. PEPPER JACK BISCUITS:.
- 12. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 13. Whisk flour, masa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a
- bowl until combined.
- 14. Cut in butter until pea-sized using a pastry blender(or two knives),
- then stir in cheese and scallions.
- 15. Blend milk and sour cream in a small;; bowl, then stir into flour
- mixture just until combined.
- 16. Top each pot pie with 3 golf ball-sized scoops of biscuit topping.
- 17. Bake until biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center
- comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- 18. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to set up.
- Note: I used canned Romas and just squeezed them in my hand and chopped them. I also didn't save any bacon grease to saute veggies. I used some olive oil. I also used 2 pounds of flank steak. I browned the steak in a little oil in the bottom of my pressure cooker. I added the beer and the seasonings and cooked at high pressure with natural release for 15 min. I proceeded from there. I cut out 30 min.
NotesI was looking for a Cuban recipe to make for company and came across this. My recipe is an adaptation. I serve it with Cilantro Lime Slaw.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More