Ropa Vieja (Shredded Beef) Pot Pies with Pepper Jack Biscuits
Why I Love This Recipe
I was looking for a Cuban recipe to make for company and came across this. My recipe is an adaptation. I serve it with Cilantro Lime Slaw.
Ingredients You'll Need
4 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
2 cups onions, diced
2 cups red bell peppers, diced
1 cup poblano chile, seeded, diced
1 cup anaheim chili, seeded, diced
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed (seasoned with salt and pepper)
12 oz beer (1 bottle lager)
2 cups beef broth
1 Tbs dried oregano leaves
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
1/3 cup masa harina
2 cups roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped
15 oz black beans, drained, rinsed (1 can)
1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, halved
1/2 lime, juice of
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
PEPPER JACK BISCUITS
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup masa harina
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbs unsalted butter, cold, cubed
1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
1/4 cup scallion, sliced
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sour cream
1. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Sauté bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp, 8 minutes.
3. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
4. Sauté onion, bell peppers, chiles and garlic in bacon drippings until
beginning to brown, 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
5. Cut flank steak into thirds and sear until browned, about 5 minutes per
6. Stir in beer, such as lager, broth, and seasonings; bring to a boil,
reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered 45 minutes.
7. Remove steak from pan, shred with 2 forks, and set aside.
8. Whisk masa into broth, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken slightly, 10
9. Stir in reserved beef, vegetables, & bacon with remaining ingredients.
10. Divide filling among six 2-cup ovenproof dishes or ramekins, transfer
dishes to prepared baking sheet and top with biscuit topping.
11. PEPPER JACK BISCUITS:.
12. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
13. Whisk flour, masa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a
bowl until combined.
14. Cut in butter until pea-sized using a pastry blender(or two knives),
then stir in cheese and scallions.
15. Blend milk and sour cream in a small;; bowl, then stir into flour
mixture just until combined.
16. Top each pot pie with 3 golf ball-sized scoops of biscuit topping.
17. Bake until biscuits are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
18. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to set up.
Note: I used canned Romas and just squeezed them in my hand and chopped them. I also didn't save any bacon grease to saute veggies. I used some olive oil. I also used 2 pounds of flank steak. I browned the steak in a little oil in the bottom of my pressure cooker. I added the beer and the seasonings and cooked at high pressure with natural release for 15 min. I proceeded from there. I cut out 30 min.