- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups fully ripe rose hips
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Remove the stiff hairs from calyx end of rose hips, split open and scrape out the seeds.
- Wash hips and measure 1 1/2 cups.
- Cut peel from orange and lemon in thin slivers.
- Add to the water and boil for five minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the juice from the orange and lemon and the rose hips.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until hips are clear and transparent and syrup is thick.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars; seal.
- Makes about two 1/2 pint jars.
NotesThis fruit & rose hip jam is so good & good for you.Fully ripe rose hips are gathered after the first frost. The frost helps sweeten the flavor. Roses are a member of the apple family. Ever seen a rose hip? That's that big seed pod that forms on rose canes after it blossoms. Some roses, especially Rugosa roses, form rose hips that are as big as crab apples -- about the size of a quarter! And, in the fall they turn brilliant colors of red and orange, and sometimes even purple
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!See More
Italian Sausage and Mushroom Ravioli
Chicken Tacos with Green Chili Adobo
Fish Cakes (Thai) with Herd & Peanut SaladSee More