- Cooking Time: 2-3 mins
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 1. 13 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2. 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3. 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4. 3 large eggs
- 5. 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6. 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 7. 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and room temperature
- 8. 1 tablespoon rose water
- 9. 3 tablespoons sanding sugar
- 10. Pink powdered food color, any shade
- 11. Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 2. In electric mixer, beat eggs and 1/2 cup granulated sugar on medium until light, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture. Fold in butter. Cover with plastic; chill for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees F; place rack in center. Spray two scallop-shell pans with cooking spray. Use spoon to fill molds three-quarters full. Bake 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees F. Bake 5 to 8 minutes more, until lightly golden. Immediately tap out Madeleine onto a cooling rack. (Let madeleines cool scallop side up to avoid any creases or lines from rack.) Repeat with remaining batter. Let cool.
- 4. Make rose-water syrup by combining remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar; reduce to a simmer, and cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes to combine. Set aside to cool. When cool, stir in rose water. Set aside.
- 5. Place sanding sugar in a small bowl. Use a toothpick to add small amounts of powdered food color to sanding sugar, stirring until you get desired shade of pink.
- 6. Use a small paint brush to sugar edges of Madeleine one at a time; dip brush into rose-water syrup, and paint rim of each madeleines. Sprinkle sanding sugar over damp edges. Repeat on remaining Madeleine's. Madeleine's are best served within 1 to 2 days of baking. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
NotesI have had these some time ago but they are delicate and tasty.
Madeleine's, miniature French sponge cakes, are made in special scallop-shell-shaped pans. These are enhanced with rose water and sprinkled with pale-pink sugar
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
DIY Tasty Gift Ideas
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More