- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c flour (divided use)
- 1/2 t plus 1 pinch of salt (divided use)
- 3/4 c plus 2 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1/2 c shortening
- 2 to 3 T ice-cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 c smooth peanut butter
- 1 c whipped cream
- 1/2 c roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Pie shell: Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut in shortening until it resembles corn meal. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until moist enough to hold together. Shape into a ball. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate 1 hour.
- On lightly floured board, roll out chilled pastry dough until large enough to line 9-inch pie pan. Dust top of rolled dough lightly with flour, line pan, then prick dough all over with fork. Flute edges and place in freezer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes, and cool.
- Filling: Combine egg yolks, pinch of salt and milk and mix well. Place in heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring until warm. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour in bowl; gradually add to milk mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly until thickened. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and peanut butter. Let cool slightly.
- Pour filling into cooled pie shell. Chill thoroughly. Top with whipped cream and garnish with chopped peanuts. Makes 8 servings.
NotesI never had the chance to go to Gennie's Bishop Grill, but I am hoping to get a copy of their cookbook, which contains this recipe, along with a lot of others that were handed down. This pie is one of those desserts that the restaurant was known for.
SOURCE: Gennie's Bishop Grill Cookbook by Rosemarie Hudson
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More