- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAlong with potato salad and baked beans, Cole Slaw forms the Summer Trinity present at all picnics and barbecues
Recipe from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced/shredded thinly
- 3/4 cup carrots, matchsticked
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar, screw lid securely onto the jar and shake until well blended (if you don't have a jar, whisk the ingredients in a bowl, but be sure to cover it in the fridge). Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. Pour half the dressing over cabbage and carrots in a medium sized bowl, toss with tongs, cover and let the cole slaw sit for at least 30 minutes (an hour is better) tossing once or twice to redistribute the dressing. Toss once more before serving - add additional dressing if desired. Leftover dressing will keep about 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Notes: This recipe can be easily doubled and tripled but be sure to add the sugar to taste - the sugar doesn't scale well and I find that 2/3 cup in a double batch is far too sweet for me. I used Napa cabbage for this batch since I had a ton of it left over from making potstickers. The leaves are thinner than "regular cabbage" and therefore didn't need to marinade as long in the fridge - bonus!
- Recipe from Confections of a Foodie Bride