- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups high-quality olive oil
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Combine four sprigs of rosemary, garlic and red pepper flakes in a 1-quart Mason jar and set aside.
- Combine the olive and canola oils in a saucepan and bring to 200 degrees over medium-low heat. Pour the oils into the Mason jar, cover with a towel, and let sit overnight.
- When cool, place cheesecloth over the top of the Mason jar and secure with the lid's ring. Place another sprig of rosemary into a clean oil cruet and strain the oil off.
- So, what's with the canola oil? Well, since you're A) heating the oil and B) infusing it with a lot of flavor, there's no reason to use all olive oil; you'll just be wasting good olive oil. Likewise, that's why I say don't use extra-virgin olive oil. But on the flip side, I use more olive oil than canola oil; too much canola oil and you will taste it.
- This is not as traditional as, say, just steeping herbs in oil, without heat, for months, but it's faster and still tastes great. Don't cook with this oil - it's already been heated and won't hold up in any high-heat cooking; you'll also mute the flavor of the herbs. Olive oil and rosemary work so well together, I wouldn't muddy it up with any other herbs. And something else I like to do when using this oil is to mix it with a little bit of pure extra-virgin olive oil, for that last fruity pop of flavor.
NotesThis is about as simple as it gets. It's a very quick way to get a big boost of flavor, and it's good for use in salad dressings, pastas, breads, fish, omelets, etc...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More