- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 2 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- A generous handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, a generous handful, plus some for passing at table
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Box of wheat rotini noodles
- 0preparation: Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO, garlic, bay leaf, onion and carrots and saute 5 minutes or until softened. Season with a little salt and pepper then add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add the parsley, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. After thoroughly combining everything with your hands, roll the mixture into balls the size of a large walnut and drop into the soup pot. Once all of the meatballs have been added, wash up and stir the broken spaghetti into the pot. Cook 7 minutes more. Season stoup with salt and pepper to your taste and serve. Pass grated cheese at the table for topping.
- If stoup gets too thick for your liking, stir in a cup of water or stock to loosen it up.
NotesI bought ground chicken at the grocery and was trying to find a recipe to use it in. One morning I was watching Rachael Ray's show and *ding* I found this recipe - only I made a few "alterations". So through trial by fire I wound up with this recipe. Super yummy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More