ROYAL ICING FOR GINGERBREAD HOUSES
Royal Icing for Gingerbread Houses
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 1
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) icing sugar*
- 5 Tbs meringue powder
- 1 Tbs cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (175 ml or 150g) warm water
- *Also known as confectioner’s sugar or powdered sugar
1. Put the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer; add the warm water and hand whisk for approximately 30 seconds, until all the lumps are gone.
2. Add the cream of tartar and hand whisk for approximately 30 more seconds, until all the lumps are gone.
3. Pour all the icing sugar into the mixer bowl with the meringue powder and cream of tartar combination, place the bowl on your mixer stand and, using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed for 10 minutes.
4. Your icing will be thick and perfect for making gingerbread house walls stay together. If you’d like to use this recipe for decorating cookies, you will need to thin the icing with water to achieve a decorating consistency. If you need help finding the right cookie decorating consistency, please see the blog for how-to tutorials and videos. Have fun decorating!