- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ½ lb. butter (2 sticks), room temp.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 1 ½ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, room temp.
- 1 tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mash bananas until smooth and soupy; set aside. Cream butter and sugar with mixer. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Mix flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add nuts and stir to coat. Then add with all remaining ingredients and combine until well blended. Pour into lightly greased and floured (use a baking spray) 5”x9” bread pan or 2 - 7½"x3½"x2¼" bread pans and smooth top. Bake for one hour. Reduce heat to 250° and continue baking for 15-20 more minutes, or until well-browned. Cool for 10 minutes on rack. Put second rack over top of pan and invert to remove from pan. Use other rack to turn right-side up. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cool. Best banana bread recipe of all that I have tried -- a favorite of Roger's and Gary's. The recipe is from Rube Force of South Haven, MI.