- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOut of all the appetizer dishes that I have prepared for dinner parties, this one ranks on top of the chart amongst my friends. Truth is, I am really not crazy about making these wings, because it’s messy to prepare and cook. However, I do keep making it for my friends, because seeing their smiles when eating those wings bring me such joy, and isn’t that what cooking is all about?
- 3 lb chicken wings(cut wing tips off)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 stalk finely diced green scallion
- 1 cup flour(for coating chicken)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp rum
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp. chili paste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients for marinade. Marinade chicken wings in mixture overnight. Save the marinade sauce.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place wings in a ziplock bag and lightly coat wings with flour. Arrange wings on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the wings over and bake for another 15 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Remove wings and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok. Bring marinade mixture to a boil over medium heat, add 1/2 tbs of cornstarch, stirring constantly until sauce began to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken wings to the skillet and raise heat to high. Stir constantly until the wings are covered completely with sauce and the sauce starts to thicken. When sauce is almost completely reduced, add sesame seeds and green scallion. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.