- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 cups
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C water
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 1 C heavy cream
- pinch table salt
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter cold
- 3 tablespoon dark rum
- Pour 1 cup water into heavy-bottomed saucepan; add sugar to center of pot to keep granules from adhering to sides of pot.
- Bring to boil over high heat, covered.
- Uncover pot, insert candy thermometer, and continue to boil until syrup is thick and straw-colored, registering 300 degrees on candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; continue to cook until sugar is deep amber, begins to smoke, and registers 350 degrees on candy thermometer, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, bring cream and salt to simmer in small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over high heat. (If cream reaches simmer before syrup reaches 350 degrees, remove cream from heat and set aside.)
- Remove sugar syrup from heat.
- Pour about one quarter of hot cream into sugar syrup; let bubbling subside.
- Add remaining cream; let bubbling subside.
- Whisk gently until smooth; whisk in butter and dark rum. Let cool until warm; serve. (Reheat in microwave or small saucepan over low heat if needed before use.)
NotesThis is a super yummy caramel sauce from Cook's Illustrated. I prefer to use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.