RUM GLAZED PINEAPPLE WITH CALYPSO SALAD
- Calypso Crab Salad:
- 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme or 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sour orange* juice (1 whole fruit)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. (more or less to taste) Jamaican Scotch Bonnet or Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 c. (about 3 oz.) finely diced red pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely diced red onion
- 1/ 2 c. diced tomato
- 1 - 16 oz. container crab meat
- Rum Glazed Pineapple:
- 2 each Fresh Pineapple, peeled and sliced into slices (about ½” thick each- 16 total)
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ c. dark rum, such as Myer’s
- 1 c. orange juice
In 1 qt. bowl whisk all salad ingredients together except red pepper, red onion, tomato and crabmeat.
Gently fold in remaining ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
In separate bowl, whisk molasses, allspice, rum and orange juice together. Dip pineapple slices in rum mixture or marinate in mixture for up to 1 hour, then grill or broil until edges are caramelized golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
Place finished slices back in marinade and chill until ready to serve.
To serve, plate 2 grilled pineapple slices with some marinade on each plate and top with ¼ of the Calypso Crab Salad.
*a sour orange is also known as a bitter orange or Seville orange. It is, actually more sour, like a lemon, than sweet. If not available, substitute ½ orange and ½ lemon juice.