- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 loaves frozen bread dough
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 lbs very lean ground beef
- 3 medium cabbages, shredded
- 3 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp salt (I never use salt)
- 1+1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Defrost frozen bread dough according to package directions; let rise once.
- Heat shortening (last time I used butter) in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, cabbage and onion. Cook until cabbage is slightly soft, about 5 - 7 minutes; do not brown. Drain beef mixture and stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375ÂºF.
- Roll bread dough into a 12" x 12" square that is 1/4" thick. Cut into 6" squares. Divide beef mixture evenly among the squares; bring corners together and pinch sides shut on each square. Let rise for 20 minutes. Prick gently with fork to allow steam to escape as they bake. Bake for 20 minutes or until brown. Brush tops with melted butter.
NotesThese sandwiches are sold at Runza Restaurants in Nebraska and other locations in the Midwest. They are perfect for game day. Go Big Red!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More