Ruote Di Carro Con Peperonata (Cartwheels with Bell Peppers and Onions)
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 lb. ruote di carro (Cartwheels)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
2 red and 2 yellow bell peppers, cored and seeded, peeled and cut lengthwise into strips 1/4 in. wide
1 cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice, coarsely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tb finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Put the olive oil and onion in a large skillet over a low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has wilted and turned golden in color.
2. Turn the heat up to medium, add the bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften slightly: about 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper and add the crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well and cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil: about 20 minutes.
4. Add the parsley, stir for about 30 seconds, and remove from the heat. Set aside.
You can prepare the sauce ahead of time up to this point and refrigerate it.
5. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan or pot, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and drop in the pasta all at once, stirring well.
6. When the pasta is almost done, return the skillet with the sauce to a medium heat.
7. Once the pasta is cooked , drain it and toss it with the sauce. Taste for salt and serve at once.
Also good with: rigatoni, penne rigate, fusilli lunghi, and fusilli corti