- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- ½ cup tapenade or black cured olives processed in food processor
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 4 oz slices fresh tuna
- Fine sea salt
- 8 rolls
- 8 leaves romaine or bibb lettuce
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large tomato cut into 8 thin slices
- 4 hard cooked eggs, sliced
- Preheat grill or pan over medium-high heat.
- Blend olive paste with lemon juice and 2 tbs of olive oil. Set aside.
- Season tuna on both sides with salt and pepper and coat with remaining olive oil.
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Slice rolls and spread inside surface of each with olive paste.
- Place a piece of tuna and add a lettuce leaf, a few slices of red and green pepper, and a slice of tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Add a few slices of egg to each sandwich. Cover with the top of the roll and gently press on the sandwich with just enough pressure to blend the ingredients and let any residual liquid get absorbed by the bread. Toast for 1 minute under broiler to crisp bread.
NotesI discovered the wonderful combination of tapenade and tuna after a friend returned from vacation in Tuscany.