- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 doz
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups (14 ounces) rolled oats
- 4 cups (4 1/2 ounces) Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
- 1/2 cup (5 1/2 ounces) corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (6 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Lightly grease a half-sheet (18x13-inch) pan, or two 9x13-inch pans.
- Place the oats on the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent edges from burning.
- They won't brown, but should begin to smell toasty.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Transfer the oats to a bowl and add the cereal.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, water, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 250º on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and pour it over the oats and cereal, tossing to combine.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the marshmallows and stir again until well combined.
- Place the mixture on the prepared pan, patting it flat.
- Press the mixture into the pan; using the lightly greased back of another half-sheet pan works well.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups marshmallows and the chocolate chips.
- Bake the bars for 4 to 5 minutes, until the marshmallows have puffed an are slightly brown. Remove the bars from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes on a rack.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
- The easiest way to do this is to use a baker's bench knife to cut the bars into long strips while still in the pan, then transfer each strip to a cutting board to cut into bars.
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Cooking with Sabra
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More