- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 doz
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups (14 ounces) rolled oats
- 4 cups (4 1/2 ounces) Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
- 1/2 cup (5 1/2 ounces) corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (6 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Lightly grease a half-sheet (18x13-inch) pan, or two 9x13-inch pans.
- Place the oats on the prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent edges from burning.
- They won't brown, but should begin to smell toasty.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Transfer the oats to a bowl and add the cereal.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, water, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 250º on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and pour it over the oats and cereal, tossing to combine.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the marshmallows and stir again until well combined.
- Place the mixture on the prepared pan, patting it flat.
- Press the mixture into the pan; using the lightly greased back of another half-sheet pan works well.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups marshmallows and the chocolate chips.
- Bake the bars for 4 to 5 minutes, until the marshmallows have puffed an are slightly brown. Remove the bars from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes on a rack.
- Cut into squares while still warm.
- The easiest way to do this is to use a baker's bench knife to cut the bars into long strips while still in the pan, then transfer each strip to a cutting board to cut into bars.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More