1 1/2 lb smoked and stewed tomatoes
1/2 medium smoked onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
3 to 6 oz tomato paste (depending on your desired thickness)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup SBQ dry rub
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp ss&p (smoked salt & pepper)
1. Cut tomatoes and onion into sections.
2. Smoke them at 225 for at least an hour.
3. Stew tomatoes. Add tomatoes, 1 tsp ss&p and 1 tsp sugar to saucepan. Twenty minutes at a light simmer will do but you want to make sure you cook them long enough for their flavors to deepen.
4. Purée tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
5. Cook onion in oil in a 4-qt heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar and salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until very thick, about 1 hour (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).
6. Purée ketchup in 2 batches in blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Chill, covered. At least 2 hours (for flavors to develop).
Pairs Well With
Ketchup is such a vital role in so many BBQ recipes and recipes in general that I decided to write a recipe for my own ketchup. Sticking to my motto "I smoke everything", I smoke the tomatoes and onion I use which creates a very unique flavor.