- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 - 10 slices of pizza
- Preparation Time:
- 1 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3 Tb. finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 (6 oz.) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 tsp. dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 c. chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/3 c. chopped pitted oil-cured olives or ripe olives
- 5 oz. goat cheese, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter an 11" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together flours, walnuts, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together milk and egg. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 10" circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- Reserving 1 Tb. of marinade, drain artichokes (leftover marinade can be added to salad dressings). Cut the artichoke hearts into quarters. Brush the surface of dough with reserved Tb. of marinade and sprinkle with basil and oregano.
- Evenly distribute artichokes, red peppers, olives and goat cheese over surface. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake 23-25 min. 'til cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack. Cool slightly and cut into 8-10 wedges.
Notes"Beer knows no better partner! For including this recipe in a book on scones, we owe the British a royal apology -- we're sure they thought they'd never top anything related to a scone with artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, goat cheese and olives. We'd like to think that this recipe is an example of "American ingenuity." Whatever it represents, this pizza makes a wonderful light lunch or supper. Try topping the scone base with other 'pizza' ingredients for hassle-free homemade pizza."
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Pineapple Banana Punch
Triple Chocolate Bundt CakeSee More