- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste
- Dark pumpernickel or seeded rye bread
- Cut bread into rounds with a 1½-inch cookie cutter and set aside.
- Devein and shell shrimp, removing the tails (or you can just buy them that way from your supermarket or fishmonger). Blanch them in boiling water for a minute or two, just until cooked through; they should curl up nicely. [Chef’s Note: Be careful not to overcook the shrimp, or it will become rubbery.] Remove the shrimp from the water and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water to cool. When cooled, blot them dry with paper towels.
- Make a purée of avocado with a squeeze of lemon juice, a few grinds of black pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Chop a bit of the fresh dill and toss it with the shrimp along with a small splash of red wine vinegar and tiny dash of salt to season.
- Assemble your canapés by spreading a little of the avocado purée over each round of bread. Top with a dilled shrimp. Thinly slice the cherry tomatoes and top the shrimp with a tomato slice and a small sprig of dill.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More