- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large chicken (young hen preferred), cut into pieces
- 2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Filé powder to taste
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.
- Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.
- Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.
- Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.
NotesPerhaps the simplest of the gumbos, but a hearty one and a classic combination. If you can't find andouille, use a local smoked sausage or kielbasa or whatever smoked sausage you like. This one's easy to knock off quickly for a great evening's meal.
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Pho - Vietnamese Beef Noodle
Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Jim's Easy Vegetable Green Thai CurrySee More